One thing I have to keep reminding myself as I prepare for this annual conference is that I AM THE ONE IN CONTROL OF MY SCHEDULE!
It can get overwhelming with the endless governance meetings, education sessions, tradeshow exploration, receptions, and parties to attend that can pack your schedule. You have to remember that you are in control – and be prepared to be overwhelmed.
So here are some tips for handling the overwhelming feeling that you may have in scheduling your days at the conference:
- Use the NAR Conference app. Download it in the app store, it will tell you where everything is located and what is going on. On the conference website, select your own items to attend and include your personal items as well. Then it will sync to the app on your phone and you will always know where you need to be.
- Carry a big bag (or they will give you one at registration) to place everything in.
- Wear comfortable shoes, or take a pair in your big bag. Yes, guys too. You will not be out of place wearing a suit and Crocs at the Expo.
- Evernote. Create a notebook now and have it ready for your digital notes, pictures, business cards, and chicken scratchings – keep it all in one place on your computer, smartphone, and tablet and review them when you are back home.
- Be okay with not making it to everything. You can’t do it all, but it’s fun to try. Don’t beat yourself up if you miss something.
- But try to attend everything. Make the most out of your conference experience.
- You are in control, if a persistent vendor keeps trying to set a meeting with you, it’s okay to say no.
- Have a list of MUST DO items. Keep it short and sweet. List the meetings you do not want to miss, that will help you feel like you are getting things accomplished as you cross things off.
A few things on my MUST DO list are:
- Meet with my association lockbox vendor to discuss contract and pricing.
- Attend the AE Committee governance meeting on Friday at 9:00 am.
- Find information on syndication vendors to take back to my board of directors.
- Attend the NAR 360 meeting on Thursday at 4:00 pm.
- Attend MLS Issues and Policies meeting on Saturday at 9:00 am.
- Go to multiple board networking dinner on Friday evening.
- Attend AE-YPN Meetup on Friday at 4:00 pm – John Collins Lounge.
These are just a few of the things that I have committed to and said that I would report back to my board and association members. There is a lot going on, but don’t break your neck trying to get to it all. A lot of the sessions are recorded, so you can always catch them later.
And don’t forget – you are in control. Have fun!